MBA Speaker Series
The MBA Speaker Series includes short seminars and workshops to help MBA students enhance their educational experience. These events cover a wide range of topics ranging from guest lectures given by business leaders on current economic issues to seminars on career development, soft skills, and how to use business software packages.
Unleashing the Power of Small-Scale Development
Wednesday, May 2, 6:30 - 8 p.m.
Kansas City Library - Plaza Branch
4801 Main St. (5 minutes from the Bloch School)
Jim Kumon, president of the not-for-profit Incremental Development Alliance, points out that smaller scale, infill projects are fundamental to financially self-sustaining communities and also a hedge for maintaining affordable housing. Kumon explores how current zoning and development conventions make these small-scale projects difficult, if not illegal, then highlights the ways his organization helps provide individuals and community partners with the skills needed to overcome these challenges and build small-scale projects.
The event is part of the Making a Great City series, designed to advance realistic solutions to our country's infrastructure crisis and point Kansas City, specifically, toward being a great, more productive city. Please RSVP online in advance. If you'd like to receive Speaker Series credit for attending, please e-mail Jewel Madsen email@example.com afterwards with a brief (1 paragraph) summary of the event.
Building Blochs of the MBA Speaker Series
The Speaker Series, which builds and enhances the MBA program, has hundreds of participants each semester. To give you an idea of the range of topics covered by the MBA Speaker Series, please review the list of the events that have taken place in recent semesters:
- Icing the Competition: The Entrepreneurial Roots of Snow & Company
- Learn How One Entrepreneur Turned Metal into Art- L. William Zahner
- Getting the Most Out of Your Degree: Enactus and ACG
- Entrepreneur Hall of Fame Inductee- Terry Van Der Tuuk
- Entrepreneur Hall of Fame Inductee- Dan Lowe
- Gender Issues in the Workplace: What Really Matters
- Coffee with Danny O'Neill, 2015 Regional Entrepreneur of the Year (Entrepreneur Week)
- Volunteering at Harvesters regional food bank
- Financial Leadership Panel at UMB Financial Corporation headquarters