Learn More About E-Scholars
Beyond the knowledge and network you’ll gain, there are many other benefits that will contribute to your success as you launch your new venture.
- Regnier Venture Creation Challenge (RVCC): Gain the opportunity to compete in the exclusive annual Regnier Venture Creation Challenge, where $75,000 is awarded in seed funding to ventures. Competitors have earned $400,000+ in prizes since its creation.
- Competition preparation: Prepare to give pitches, presentations and responses to typical questions asked by judges allowing your team to compete in local, regional and national competitions.
- Networking events: Connect with the thriving local Kansas City startup community.
- Mentors in Residence: Meet with mentors who hold office hours in support of E-Scholars.
- E-Scholars alumni: Access more than 150 industry experts representing diverse backgrounds and a wide variety of fields.
- Legal services: E-Scholars have access to the UMKC Entrepreneurial Legal Services Clinic, and a panel of pro bono lawyers who provide business and planning advice for small business owners that cannot afford the market rates for such services.
Many E-Scholars alumni have gone on to launch successful ventures
- 300+ Ventures Completed the Program
- 100+ Ventures Launched
- 70+ have received external funding
- 50+ have hired employees or used outside contractors
- We have awarded $400,000+ in prizes through the RVCC since its creation
We support entrepreneurs and sustainable growth in for-profits, non-profits and the burgeoning social entrepreneurship sector. We believe that diverse cohorts cultivate innovation, which is why we encourage all founders with the passion and vision to grow and scale a venture to apply to the program.
The Regnier Institute underwrites a majority of the program costs (approximately $5,000) for each venture. The underwriting is made available thanks to support from the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation, the Bloch Family Foundation, the Regnier Family Foundation and other generous partners. The remaining program costs must be covered by the venture in one of the following ways:
- Community members are responsible for the remaining fee of $1,000 per venture. Ventures can qualify for a 20% discount for paying the full amount up front or having at least one founder/co-founder who is a verifiable graduate (undergraduate, graduate or professional) of any School, College or Program of UMKC. Only one discount may be applied to each venture’s total program fee.
- Students seeking academic credit only pay the tuition of the courses related to E-Scholars. The one-time fee mentioned above is waived.
- Undergraduates earn credit for: ENT 329 E-Scholars
- Graduate students earn credit for: ENT 5529: E-Scholars
The E-Scholars program is open to UMKC students, students from other institutions and individuals from the community at-large.
Admission to the program is competitive, and each application is reviewed by a committee. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, with acceptance awarded within three weeks of submission. Upon acceptance, an introductory meeting with the director is required.
Candidates must be available to actively participate in all workshops, activities and programs. E-Scholars is for individuals who want to:
- Accelerate new ventures
- Develop new products or services
- Commercialize inventions
- Innovate within existing businesses
Visit our E-Scholars Frequently Asked Questions page.