Academic advising is a central part of what the Bloch Student Services office does. It is how we help you stay on track and graduate!
Remember to check your UMKC email.
Frequently Asked Questions
You will not be allowed to register for classes if advising is required.
- New students at all levels must be advised before registering for classes.
- Continuing students must meet with an advisor as indicated below.
|Degree or Undergrad Level||Advising Required?||How Often?|
|Freshman||Yes||Required each semester before registration|
|Junior||Yes||Required each semester before registration|
|M.B.A.||New students||Required first semester before registration|
|M.P.A.||New students||Required first semester before registration|
|M.S.A.||Yes||Required each semester before registration|
|M.S.F.||New students||Required first semester before registration|
|M.S.E.R.E.||New students||Required first semester before registration|
The following degree programs are advised out of the Student Services Office:
- Bachelor of Business Administration (B.B.A.)
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting (B.S.A.)
- Master of Science in Accounting (M.S.A.)
- Master of Science in Finance (M.S.F.)
- Business Minor (Bus. Minor)
- Entrepreneurship Minor (Ent. Minor)
Undergraduate students are assigned to one of three advisors by the first letter of their last name:
- Leigh Garrett advises students with last names starting A-F
- Krystal Schwenker advises students with last names G-O
- Shaun Pfannenstiel advises students with last names P-Z
M.S.F. students are advised by Nancy Wilkinson.
MBA students are advised by Jewel Madsen, in the MBA department.
M.S.A. students are advised by Nancy Wilkinson.
The following degree programs are advised by faculty in that department:
- Master of Public Administration (M.P.A.) and Executive M.P.A.
- Master of Science in Entrepreneurial Real Estate (MSERE)
The Bloch Student Services Office will begin advising after the schedule is released for a given semester. We recommend coming in for advising as soon as the schedule has been released to insure you have the broadest choice of classes.
The Bloch School Student Services Office will be open the following hours during the break between semesters:
Monday, December 18-Thursday, December 21—open 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
Friday, December 22—open 8 a.m.-12 p.m.
Monday, December 25-Monday, January 1—University closed
Tuesday, January 2—Student Services closed to public
Wednesday, January 3-Friday, January 5—open 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
Regular hours resume on Monday, January 8
During walk-in advising times, students may be seen by someone other than their assigned advisor.
Advisors may trade advising shifts to accommodate meetings.
Call 816-235-2215 to schedule an appointment. If you are an M.P.A. or MSERE student, please contact your faculty advisor for an advising appointment.
|Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday||9:00 - 12 p.m. and
1:00 - 4:00 p.m.
|Monday||5:00 and 5:30 p.m.|
|Tuesday||5:00 and 5:30 p.m.|
|Wednesday||5:00 and 5:30 p.m.|
Graduate Advising Hours
Advising for M.S.A. and M.S.F. students is provided by Nancy Wilkinson in the Bloch School Student Services Office. A variety of day and evening appointments are available and can be scheduled by calling 816-235-2215.
MBA students are advised by Jewel Madsen, in the MBA department. Appointments can be made by calling 816-235-2303.
Department of Public Affairs appointments can be made by calling 816-235-2894.
You will receive an email from UMKC with your priority registration time. Your registration time is also available on Pathway. Look on the right hand side of the screen in your Student Center.
Starting in spring 2015, students will no longer have a priority registration time for summer enrollment. All students will be able to register for summer classes on the designated open enrollment day.
Learn more about registration.
Major maps show program requirements in a semester by semester plan. Updated annually and selected by the term you entered UMKC, major maps are a guide to graduation in four years.
These are the advising sheets the Bloch School uses. Unlike the major map, the advising sheets show program requirements by category - general education, electives, basic skills, business/accounting core and emphasis (B.B.A. only).
- For students entering fall 2015 and beyond. (PDF)
- For first-time college students who entered in fall 2013 through summer 2015 and for transfer students who entered fall 2014 through summer 2015. (PDF)
- For transfer students who entered in fall 2013, spring 2014 or summer 2014. (PDF)
- For students who entered before fall 2013. (PDF)
- For a first-time college student who entered fall 2013 and beyond and for a transfer student who entered fall 2014 and beyond. (PDF)
- For students who entered as first-time freshmen before fall 2013 and transfer students who enter before fall 2014. (PDF)
- For students entering fall 2017 and beyond. (PDF)
- Business Minor (PDF)
- Entrepreneurship Minor (PDF)