The MS Accounting (M.S.A.) program at UMKC requires a minimum of 30 credit hours after all foundational requirements have been met. Up to 30 hours of foundational course work, completed at the undergraduate level, may be required for students who have earned degrees in areas outside of accounting. The program was developed with Missouri CPA requirements in mind. Students planning to sit for the CPA in other states may need to meet additional requirements.
Up to 30 hours of foundational work may be required. These courses can be waived if a comparable class has been completed with a grade of "C" or better. Students needing foundational course work will apply for admission to the Bachelor of Science in Accounting (B.S.A.) degree program. Admission to the B.S.A. degree program calls for a 2.500 cumulative undergraduate GPA.
Those needing all foundational work will complete this section within a minimum of three semesters due to prerequisites. Grade of "C" or better in each course will be needed to satisfy requirements. In the final semester of foundational course work, the student will apply to the M.S.A. degree program.
All courses are three credit hours.
- FIN 325: Financial Management
- MGT 306: Legal, Ethical and Regulatory Environment of Business
- MKT 324: Marketing Concepts
- ACCTNG 306: Intro to the Profession of Accounting and Procedures
- ACCTNG 307: Cost Management
- ACCTNG 310: Intermediate Accounting I
- ACCTNG 311: Intermediate Accounting II
- ACCTNG 350: Accounting Systems and Controls
- ACCTNG 360: Accounting Research and Communication
- ACCTNG 405: Auditing
The M.S.A. degree program requires a minimum of 30 hours completed at the graduate level. At least one course will be selected from each topical area and the remaining hours will be made up by accounting and other business electives. All classes are three credit hours.
Auditing: select at least one course from:
- ACCTNG 5564: Principles of Internal Auditing
- ACCTNG 5570: Fraud Auditing
- ACCTNG 5577: Advanced Auditing
Financial: select at least one course from:
- ACCTNG 5551: Governmental/Not-for-Profit Accounting
- ACCTNG 5559: Advanced Financial Accounting Theory
- ACCTNG 5578: Current Problems in Accounting
Managerial: required of all students:
Tax: a minimum of three-six hours depending on prior course work:
- ACCTNG 5557: Introduction to Income Taxation, unless waived by completion of ACCTNG 412 or equivalent
- ACCTNG 5571: Individual Tax Problems
- ACCTNG 5572: Tax Theory and Business Applications
- ACCTNG 5576: Tax Research, Procedure and Practice
Electives: Four or five electives will be needed to bring program total to 30 hours. Second or third courses from the areas above will count as accounting electives. Up to six hours can be business course work outside of accounting.
A maximum of six (6) credit hours of graduate coursework completed with distinction at an accredited graduate school and relevant to the individual's degree program may be accepted toward the M.S.A. A petition requesting consideration is necessary to begin this process. Official transcripts including this course work must be on file with UMKC. Students should be prepared to supply a course syllabus and other information about the course(s). Credits cannot be accepted if they will be more than seven years old at the time of graduation. Transfer credit should be reviewed and decided within the first semester in the degree program.
Retention and Graduation Requirements
Students must maintain a 3.0 ("B") average to be in good standing. Of the total M.S.A. hours required, at least 80 percent of all courses must be completed with grades of "B" (3.0) or higher. Up to 20 percent can be completed with grades of "B-," "C+" or "C." No grade below "C" in a 5500-level class will count toward the degree.