London - Apply Now
Travel to London, England!
London in 2016
May 28th-June 3, 2016
Scholarship Application Deadline: February 19, 2016
Program Application Deadline: March 4, 2016
Payment Deadline: March 18, 2016
Dr. Fred Hays, Henry W. Bloch Missouri Endowed Chair in Financial Services, Chair, Department of Finance and Director of Bloch Global Study Abroad Programs, has over 20 years of experience leading study abroad trips.
Contact: Dr. Hays.
Dr. Nancy Day, Associate Professor, Human Resources and Organizational Behavior, is scheduled to accompany the class during the trip. She is assisting with this course for the seventh year.
Contact: Dr. Day.
A program overview meeting for all participants will be held on Saturday, April 11 from 8 a.m.-1 p.m. Location TBA.
Additional class meetings will be held Saturday, April 18 or Saturday, April 25 and Saturday, May 2. Time and location TBA. The University's required pre-departure orientation will be held on Saturday, May 2 from 12-1 p.m. Location TBA.
On-line content will supplement classroom-based sessions.
The international portion of the course runs from May 23-29 (7 nights).
One additional class meeting may be held in the summer after the trip.
London is one of the truly great world-class cities. It is a mix of diverse cultures, a hub of finance and commerce and a center of performing arts and entertainment. British history is an important part of our own history. The British monarchy and British tradition are legendary. We strive to provide a balanced overview so students may savor the depth, breadth and richness of the unique London experience.
Each year we attempt to deliver a high-quality program that takes advantage of available opportunities. Two different years the group attended the State of London Debates hosted by the Mayor of London. Special lectures at venues such as the London School of Economics provide students with additional opportunities.
- This 3-hour, credit course centers around several visits with companies with operations in London. Recent visits have included Cerner-UK, Populous (HOK), Lloyd’s of London, Swiss Re and McGraw-Hill to discuss current issues with senior managers. We have also arranged professionally guided walking tours of the Financial District in the City of London, the 2012 Olympic sites and the new business center of London--the Docklands. We have also toured the Houses of Parliament and met with a Labour MP.
- Cultural visits have included sites such as the Royal Observatory at Greenwich and the Imperial War Museum.
Free time is provided for personal exploration of historic sites and famous attractions, public lectures, bustling markets, world-class theatre and opera, nightlife and other activities. In your free time you may wish to visit the Tower of London, Buckingham Palace, St. Paul’s Cathedral, Westminster Abbey, the British Museum, Soho, Madame Tussaud’s, Hyde Park and many other famous sites. Enjoy a walking tour of the Beatles sites or perhaps a "Jack the Ripper" tour. Join us for a pub crawl of some of the most famous pubs in British history.
Students are responsible for the following program costs:
- $700 deposit* to be submitted with the program application. The deposit, less $100, is refundable until accommodations must be finalized (around April 15). If an application is rejected, the entire deposit will be refunded. This deposit is a down payment toward accommodations
- $25 subscription fee to StudioAbroad, the application software used by International Academic Programs
- 3 hours tuition (this class will be part of the summer 2014 semester)
- International airfare to/from London
- Meals in London
- Local transportation costs
- Miscellaneous expenses including entry fees to cultural sites
- Passport costs, if you do not have a passport already
- University-required HTH health insurance
*Due to unpredictable price increases and currency fluctuations, students may be required to pay additional funds prior to the trip.
A pre-trip excursion to Paris, France will be available. Spend three days, May 20-23, exploring this city's landmarks, cultural attractions and nightlife. Sites of interest include the Eiffel Tower, Louvre, Notre Dame cathedral and the Arc de Triomphe, just to mention a few. Application deadline April 25, 2015.
An administrative fee of $150 is charged for participation in the pre-trip. Students are responsible for their transportation costs, accommodation expense, meals and entrance fees.
- $150 administrative fee, due with pre-trip sign-up
- Accommodation costs (approximately $325-350)
- Transportation expenses (approximately $175)
- Entry fees
Payment for some of the expenses may be collected in the spring to ensure availability of rooms, etc.