Planning a New Nonprofit: Essential Planning Steps and Legal Requirements
Many people express an interest in starting a nonprofit to address a specific need in the community. The process of starting a nonprofit can be confusing and present intimidating challenges. This 2 hour session covers basic preliminary procedures and introduces the steps to legally become a nonprofit organization.
- March 16, 2016 (4:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.)
- May 17, 2016 (4:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.)
- Overview of the unique nature and structure of nonprofit organizations, as well as comparable differences between nonprofits and for-profits.
- Determining whether there is sufficient need to establish a new organization and understanding the alternatives to incorporation.
- Overview of the legal issues and processes involved in establishing a nonprofit.
- Examination of the initial governance and management challenges to successful operation.
Fee Information: There is no charge for this seminar. To reserve your spot in one of the upcoming sessions please click on the registration link below.
Faculty: Judith Sharp, JD, LLM, Staff Director of the UMKC Entrepreneurial Legal Services Clinic (UMKC School of Law)
Cindy Laufer, MPA, Program Coordinator and Fellow of the Midwest Center for Nonprofit Leadership (UMKC Bloch School of Management)
Location: University of Missouri - Kansas City (UMKC), Midwest Center for Nonprofit Leadership Resource Center, 4747 Troost Avenue, Kansas City, Missouri (Conference Room 210), Kansas City, Missouri