The Bloch M.S.A. offers options for students both with and without undergraduate accounting backgrounds.
All of our M.S.A. courses are offered at night to accommodate the schedules of full-time professionals. Students without a prior accounting-related degree may be required to complete undergraduate-level foundational courses which may be scheduled in the day or evening. Please see the Applicants with Non-Accounting Degrees section below for additional application information.
Apply to the M.S.A. Program
You may apply to and begin the M.S.A. program in any semester. Our priority deadlines are the following:
- Fall: August 1
- Spring: December 1
- Summer: May 1
You are encouraged to apply by the priority deadlines, but we do offer rolling admissions. However, if your completed application is not received by a semester’s priority deadline we cannot guarantee admission for that semester.
How to Apply
Admission to the M.S.A. program is selective. A completed application includes all of the following:
UMKC application, plus application fee.
Official transcripts* (one copy) from all colleges/universities attended, sent to:
UMKC Office of Admissions
120 Administrative Center
5100 Rockhill Road
Kansas City, MO 64110-2499
Electronic transcripts can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
*You must have completed a bachelor's or first level professional degree from a regionally accredited institution.
An official Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) score.
- The GMAT exam is not required for any UMKC student with a 3.5 average in a minimum of 15 hours of upper-level accounting courses completed at UMKC. Grades in all upper-level accounting courses will be considered.
- Applications without a GMAT score (or similar test, see below) are viewed as incomplete and no admissions decision will be rendered.
- An unofficial GMAT score can be used for admission. Your official score must be received within the first semester of enrollment. (An unofficial score is the hard copy you receive after taking the test.)
- Graduate admission exams other than the GMAT will be considered. GRE scores will be evaluated using the GRE Comparison Tool for Business Schools.
- For consideration for automatic admission, test scores cannot be more than five years old at the time application review.
- The Bloch School’s GMAT code is F77-XF-18.
- Economically disadvantaged students may apply for a very limited number of GMAT fee waivers. The fee waiver information form is needed at the time the exam appointment is scheduled. Applications are considered on a first-come, first-served basis. Receipt of a GMAT fee waiver is not a guarantee of admission.
A current resume. This can be submitted via email.
International students will submit application materials to UMKC's International Student Affairs Office.
Application file components include:
Application for admission and application fee.
Academic credentials (transcripts, marks sheets, score cards, degree certificates).
TOEFL or IELTS score
- Applicants from countries with English as an official language may be exempt from the TOEFL or IELTS exam. See the ISAO website for a listing of countries.
- TOEFL and IELTS waivers are not granted.
- Students who earn a TOEFL score below 600 paper/250 computer/100 internet or below 6.5 on the IELTS are required to complete an English assessment through the Applied Language Institute. The results of the assessment may require that students complete English language course work in the early semester(s) of their program.
- We recommend that applicants achieve a minimum TOEFL score of 550 paper/213 computer/79-80 internet or IELTS score of 6.0 or higher.
Passport (utilized by ISAO only)
Statement of Finances (utilized by ISAO only)
Affidavit of Support (utilized by ISAO only)
Transfer-In Form and Immigration Documents (utilized by ISAO only)
Department of Accountancy English Placement Test Guidelines for International Students
Students who completed the TOEFL exam with a score of 600 paper/250 computer/100 internet or the IELTS with a score of 6.5 or higher will not need to complete an English language assessment through the Applied Language Institute (ALI).
For students scoring less than 600 paper/250 computer/100 internet on the TOEFL:
- A score of 25 or higher on any section of the TOEFL waives the corresponding ALI class
- Sections of the TOEFL with a score below 25 will be evaluated by the ALI for recommended English classes
- The lower score is utilized if there is a discrepancy in listening and speaking scores
- The Department of Accountancy will accept ALI's recommendation for English classes
For students earning a composite score below 6.5 on the IELTS:
- A score of 6.5 or higher on any section of the IELTS waives the corresponding ALI class
- Sections of the IELTS with a score below 6.5 will be evaluated by ALI for recommended English classes
- The lower score is utilized if there is a discrepancy in listing and speaking scores
- The Department of Accountancy will accept ALI's recommendations for English classes
MS Accounting students are waived from ALI's level V English classes
Conditional Admission for International Applicants
International applicants not meeting TOEFL/IELTS score requirements for direct admission to Bloch School graduate programs (excluding PhD and IPhD programs) may qualify for conditional admission to build English language skills. To be eligible, applicants must:
- Have a minimum TOEFL score of 500 (paper) or 61 (internet) or 5.5 IELTS
- Have a 3.0 cumulative undergraduate GPA (on a 4.0 scale)
- Have completed the GMAT and received a minimum score at or above the 55th percentile in the quantitative portion of the test
- Admitted students will have one academic year to:
- complete English language courses from the Applied Language Institute (ALI),
- take an internal TOEFL test administered by ALI and earn a score of 500 or better, and
- complete the GMAT with a verbal section score at or above the 15th percentile
If conditions are not met after one academic year, conditional admission will be suspended and the student will not be allowed to continue in the Bloch School.
Students applying for admission to the Bloch School of Management's M.S.A. program will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
Automatic admission will be granted under any of the following three conditions:
- Any UMKC student with a 3.500 GPA or better in a minimum of 15 student credit hours of upper-division (300 and 400-level) Accounting courses completed at UMKC. Grades in all 300 and 400-level accounting courses will be considered in this computation.
- A score of 600 on the GMAT exam or equivalent score on the GRE based on comparison chart. Test scores must be less than five years old at the time of consideration for admission.
- 500 GMAT score (or equivalent score on the GRE) with a 3.0 GPA in their undergraduate or graduate study from a university with accreditation recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation. Test scores must be less than five years old at the time of consideration for admission.
If the candidate does not meet the above criteria, the application will be reviewed by the Department of Accountancy Admissions Committee. The committee will consider work experience and other factors relevant for making an admissions decision. Applicants are welcome to submit a goal statement or other relevant documents they wish the committee to consider as part of the decision-making process. Documents can be submitted via email.
International applicants who did not complete a university degree in the USA and do not meet the International Student Affairs Office criteria for exemption, must submit results from the TOEFL or IELTS to demonstrate English proficiency. Admitted students with a TOEFL score below 600 paper/250 computer/100 internet or an IELTS score below 6.5 will be required to complete an English language evaluation through the Applied Language Institute prior to being allowed to enroll in courses. The result of the evaluation may require students to complete language course work.
The Bloch School reviews completed applications in the order received and will inform you of admission committee decisions via regular mail. You should allow two-four weeks from when the completed application is received by Bloch until there is a decision from the committee.
Letters of recommendation: None are required as part of the application process.
Transfer credit: We will accept up to six (6) credit hours applicable to your program and completed with distinction at an accredited institution. Credit cannot be more than 7 years old at the time of graduation from the M.S.A program. An official transcript must be supplied. All transfer credit is approved by your academic advisor during your first semester.
Tuition: The UMKC Metro Rate (in-state tuition) is available to graduate students who are residents of the following Kansas counties: Atchison, Douglas, Franklin, Jackson, Jefferson, Johnson, Leavenworth, Miami, Osage, Shawnee and Wyandotte. Part-time domestic students in the M.S.A. program (which means one class (three credit hours) to two classes (six credit hours) in fall and spring semesters, and one class in summer semester), you will pay in-state tuition regardless of your residency*. View the UMKC tuition and fee schedule.
*International students should consult UMKC’s International Student Affairs Office regarding tuition and fees.
Financial aid/scholarships:In order to be given financial aid/scholarships, you must be admitted to UMKC as a degree-seeking student. The priority deadline for financial aid is February 1, which means you should apply early in order to be considered for the best possible aid package. The Bloch School holds one scholarship competition annually with a March 1 application deadline. More information can be found here.
The B.S.A./M.S.A. program (early entry)
UMKC B.B.A. and B.S.A. students with at least a 3.0 cumulative undergraduate GPA AND within 12 hours of completing their program may be able to take up to six credit hours of M.S.A. coursework during their final undergraduate term. The student must have applied and been admitted to the M.S.A. program for a subsequent term.
Please email Bloch with any questions.
Applicants with non-accounting academic backgrounds should apply as undergraduate students to the Bachelor of Science in Accounting program. To be eligible for admission a 2.5 cumulative undergraduate GPA is required. Applicants entering the BS Accounting program with a prior degree are not obligated to finish the degree in order to transition to the graduate program. Admission at the undergraduate-level allows students to complete key foundational courses at the undergraduate tuition rate.
When starting the final semester of foundational courses, please submit an application for entry to the MS Accounting program as detailed in the "How to Apply" section above. Candidates will be evaluated using the criteria in the "Admission Requirement" box.