The M.P.A. degree is awarded on completion of 36 semester hours, consisting of 21 hours of required core courses, nine to 12 hours in a selected emphasis area and up to six hours of electives. An internship is recommended for any student without substantial prior work experience in public, nonprofit or health administration. Individual courses may be waived if a student presents evidence of adequate undergraduate study, but other courses for graduate credit must be substituted to meet the minimum of 36 hours. Note: students who repeat courses that have been waived from their program may not count the repeated course toward their degree.
The M.P.A. core curriculum consists of 21 credit hours. These classes are required for each student.
- PUB-ADM 5510: Research Methods in Public Administration
- PUB-ADM 5526: The Politics of Administration
- PUB-ADM 5548: Leadership for Public Service
- FIN 5505: Global Macroeconomics
- PUB-ADM 5525: Financial Accountability and Policy Development*
- PUB-ADM 5544: Public Policy Evaluation and Analysis*
- PUB-ADM 5530: Capstone Seminar in Public Management
*Health Administration students can make the following substitutions to meet the core requirements:
- HLTH-ADM 5571: Financial Management Issues: Health and Human Services Organizations -or- PUB-ADM 5525
- HLTH-ADM 5578: The Evaluation and Control of Health Services for PUB-ADM 5544
- HLTH-ADM 5580: Economics of Health and Medicine for MGT 5513 or FIN 5504 and FIN 5505.
To focus your education and develop your expertise in specific areas for your career, the Bloch School’s M.P.A. program offers three emphasis areas.
Administration Nonprofit Management
Urban Policy and Administration
Elective courses may be selected from PA courses including the student’s chosen emphasis area. They may also be selected from political science, economics, psychology, sociology, or other graduate fields with approval of the faculty advisor.
M.P.A. students are limited to a total of six (6) hours of independent study, of which three (3) hours can be an internship. Specific emphasis areas may have slightly different requirements, which override the general policy. If applicable, they are listed under the relevant emphasis area.
A maximum of six (6) credit hours of graduate coursework completed with distinction at an accredited graduate school and relevant to the individual’s degree program may be accepted toward the M.P.A. You must provide official transcripts to UMKC for this purpose. All transfer credit is approved by your advisor during your first semester.